As you may remember, last September saw us installing laminate flooring in the landing.
This was, of course, only the beginning of a larger project. To say that the landing had seen better days, would be an understatement. Truth is, the landing had been neglected for over eleven years. Ever since we moved in.
Just let that sink in for a moment. Eleven years, and the landing had seen nothing but neglect. Oh, and laundry. A lot of laundry.
Functional, but not pretty. So, about a year ago we decided to pretty things up a little. We replaced the Ikea Antonius unit with a nice Ikea Ställ shoe cabinet and figured the landing looked much better already.
Except that we were still drying the laundry in the landing and there was really nothing of interest there. At all.
Then, our wall got mucked up when the plumber tried to locate some pipes, which actually weren’t even inside that wall, so bummer. Looks pretty horrid, doesn’t it? Thankfully, that ugly spot is behind the shoe cabinet so no-one actually sees it, but I know it’s there. And I don’t like it.
But wait. This isn’t all. There’s even more ugly rearing its head here. How about this?
Someone (I wouldn’t dare naming names!) wanted a sliding door to close off the stairs to his Holy Loft. And never mind how I begged, pleaded and threatened, he wanted that sliding door right there. And he had to ruin the stairs for his sliding door – which actually was nothing but a large sheet of UGLY called MDF. And it never even got a coat of paint. Not even that.
Everyone in the house hated the thing, except for that certain someone who really needed his ugly door right were it should never have been. We took it down in the summer of 2013, the girls and I. We were totally done with it.
Now guess who gets to deal with the damage to the stairs? That’s right.
Oh, and did you happen to notice those hardboard toe kicks? Another thing that needs to be taken care of.
DD-21 and I decided January would be Landing Month. One whole month to whip that pityful landing into shape. Are we going to make it?
Landing, here we come!
The hardboard toe kicks were first on our list. I took them all down and replaced them with nice, solid birch plywood. I forgot to take a picture of the before, but here’s one with just the upper toe kick replaced.
Quite a difference, eh?
And with all the toe kicks replaced. So much better already. And they’re not even painted yet.
Sadly, I’m now at a point where I can’t finish this project as I need to attach square rods to the toe kicks where they touch the steps but I’ve done all the ones I can safely reach. I’m not risking my skin to get the other rods placed, so I guess I’ll have to do some thinking before I can continue here.
Not to worry though, cause there’s still lots more to do.
Today I removed the wallpaper strips decorating the top of the walls. In the process I managed to sublux my shoulder three times, so even though I still wanted to sand the walls after removing those strips, I decided against it.
Tomorrow is another day, and the month is only two weeks young yet. With some luck we can finish this job right on schedule.