- 2 chopped apples, preferably with skin
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar or honey (optional, depending on how sweet your apples and applesauce are)
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed nuts, kasha and dessicated coconut
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons rum
- Put applesauce in a bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake at 180 ˚C/350 F for 45 minutes.
BTW, did you know you can easily make your own baking powder?
Most recipes for baking powder use baking soda and cream of tartar, plus corn starch. I prefer to use baking soda and citric acid, plus corn starch.
Combine 1 tbsp baking soda, 1 tbsp corn starch and 2 tbsp citric acid in a small container. (I use a tiny glass jar with lid.) Mix well. Place lid on the container. Store cool and dry.