My family loves good food. They also love all things sweet. These chocolate flapjacks are sweet, chocolaty and even pretty healthy. They’re also very easy to make.
- 125 g. demerara sugar or cane sugar
- 225 g. butter
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. sweet ginger syrup
- 350 g. rolled oats
- 100 g. cocoa powder or carob powder
- Preheat oven to 150C/300F.
- Place butter, sugar, maple syrup and ginger syrup in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in oats, ginger syrup and cocoa powder. (Alternatively, pour the butter mixture in a glass oven dish and stir in oats and cocoa powder.)
- Pour the mixture into a lined and lightly greased tin. (Obviously, you can omit this step if you used my alternative method.) Press the mixture out evenly using the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before cutting into bars. Leave the flapjacks in the tin to cool completely before you remove them.
Enjoy your flapjacks with a cup of tea and a good book.