A busy day

Today’s been another busy day.

After my breakfast of homemade yogurt, there was no yogurt left in the fridge anymore. This meant of course that I had to get out my yogurt maker, and make a new jar of yogurt.

Now, because I don’t like a lot of fuss, I make yogurt the easy way. I pour room temperature milk in the jar until it’s about half full. I add three spoonfuls of starter culture, screw the lid on and shake. I take the lid off, fill up the jar with more milk, screw the lid back on again, and shake once more. I pour boiling water in my yogurt maker, place the jar inside and put the lid on. From there, all I have to do is wait till my yogurt is ready. This takes about 12 hours.

Once I got my yogurt started, I had to make soy milk. Since I’ve got a soy milk maker, that’s a pretty easy task as well if, and only if, you remember to soak your soy beans overnight. Thankfully, I did, so all I had to do, was rinse the soy beans and place them in the filter. I poured water in the pot, attached the filter to the lid, put the lid on, and started the machine. Fifteen minutes later my soy milk was ready. I cooled it and put it in the fridge. I also put the leftover soy pulp – aka okara – in the fridge for later use in a cake or biscuits.

Mission accomplished.

Next came a trip to the market in one of the neighbouring villages. The hubby and DD-14 went with me this time.

I got the apples, radishes, chicory and (potted) parsley I will need for our Seider, and got us some bananas and a nice big swede as well. I also treated myself to a box of fresh dates.

On our way home, we stopped at a small farmers shop, where I got us 5 kg potatoes and bought DD-14 a small packet of Old Dutch sweets because she asked so nicely (and we really don’t have sweets all that often).

I spent a total of €16.85, which I think is quite acceptable.

Back home we had a cup of tea and a home made chocolate flapjack. The hubby was kind enough to peel, wash and cut the swede, and we had so much I put half of it in a freezer bag and popped it in the freezer.

Now I had to get us some milk, eggs and butter, which I still have to buy at the supermarket as I haven’t found out yet where else to buy organic milk, eggs and butter. I quickly put a load of laundry in the laundry machine and off we went to the supermarket.

After our trip to the supermarket I worked out how much I spent on our groceries this week and had a big shock: €82.60! To be fair, this did include cat food for our three cats, and I had quite some extra expenses because of Pesach (spent a goodly €10.00 on matzos alone!), but still. That’s a lot of money, and even though it’s below our usual budget, I had really hoped to be able to spend even less. Oh well, you can’t have everything, can you? And I did get to freeze quite a lot of veggies that we didn’t use up immediately.

Back home again, and a gazillion things still needed doing. And even now – at close to eight – I’m not done yet. The last three of my kitchen cupboards are still waiting to be cleaned of chametz, the apples I bough last week need to be cooked, so we’ll have apple sauce for a quick and easy charoset on Seider Evening because I’ll probably be too tired to make a proper charoset. That happens every year. And my philosophy lessons are calling out to me as well.

But first, I’ll have another tea. And maybe even another flapjack.


About Liam

Poet, writer, aspiring minimalist
This entry was posted in Delicious deliberations, Supermarket free and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s