Herbs and spices

Yesterday saw me doing a load of laundry (a daily chore, unfortunately), making three batches of idiot biscuits (chocolate flavoured, coffee flavoured and plain ones), preparing and taking my philosophy test (scored 8.5 out of 10, which quite obviously means I don’t really understand Descartes all that well), doing a lot of decluttering in our loft (the hubby even – reluctantly – agreed to finally get rid of that Windows95 copy), prepared supper and even found time to sit down and eat.

After supper I allowed myself to play around on facebook for half an hour before I went to clean and sort the cupboard where I store my dried herbs and spices. I took everything out, wiped down the cupboard and then decided on which herbs and spices to keep (the ones that were still good) and which ones to discard (the ones that had been in there for years and never been used).

I put the herbs and spices I use most often back on the lower shelf. The second shelf is for herbs, salt, pepper and coconut oil (yes, I know, the coconut oil doesn’t really belong there, but it will do for now). On the third shelf came spices. The highest shelf seemed like the best place to store stuff like palm sugar, agar-agar, cheap salt for washing my veggies, and some baking supplies: baking powder, baking soda, gingerbread spices, etc.

I have to say, I’m quite pleased with the results of my hard work.

Come this morning, and after a breakfast of homemade yogurt, and getting the usual stuff out of the way (unload dishwasher, get a load of laundry started, clean the loo…) I decided I should finally plant the seeds for my home-grown herbs. I got out one of my Ikea growing sets and got started. I mixed the soil briquets with water as per the instructions. I filled the cups with soil, making sure not to fill the cups to the rim, but leave some 2-3 cm to fill up with more soil later.

I spread the seeds over the soil, and covered them with a thin layer of soil – meaning not quite up to the rim. I do hope that’s thin enough.

Next, the instructions told me to cover the cups with cling film. What cling film? I don’t have that, as I never use it. Oh well, I figured a plastic sandwich bag cut to size would suffice as well. After quite some fumbling around (maybe I should get me some cling film tomorrow?) I managed to get the plastic firmly in place. Next step: perforate the plastic with a toothpick.

Well, doesn’t that look nice?

I placed my mini-garden in our very sunny kitchen windowsill and admired my work.

Now I just have to remember to keep the soil moist, and to remove the “cling film” when the seedlings start to grow.

Advertisements

About Liam

Poet, writer, aspiring minimalist
This entry was posted in Windowsill gardening. Bookmark the permalink.

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s